Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I went to neuro in Dec had dizziness and blurry vision which…

Customer Question
I went to neuro in...
I went to neuro in Dec had dizziness and blurry vision which subsused since I also have constant tingling tongue and lips, he did find my left knee had hyperreflex, did mri and is normal he says anxiety, can it be normal to have hyperreflex on one side
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/15/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

You should try to find a reason for asymmetry of knee reflexes. But that sometimes is not found. The most common reason is that the side with a lower response has a problem such as a pinched nerve in the back from disc disease. With that you would expect a history of pain and weakness in the quadriceps muscle on that side. A clean MRI really excludes most problems that could give a brisker reflex. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Ok well he said maybe born that way also had been having low back pain on rigt side when this was going on, just scarry I asked about ALS and he said I had nothing to worry about my MD also checked and he said it was just slight, it's just scarry because everything read on the Internet says it's usually something serious and could be sign of als, we have talked before I just can't seem to calm my nerves about this

Absolutely not an initial sign of ALS it would be a late sign associated with problems walking from a lack of coordination or spastic gait. You would be weak and twitching first. Dr Frank

Well of course as you can tell my anxiety runs high and I do tend to worry alot and of course having lots of twitching but I guess could be anxiety
What is spastic gait?

A spastic gait is a stiff uncoordinated gait you do not have. Any doctor can pick that up. Don't let anxiety control you. It is better the other way around. Don't worry ok? Dr Frank

Thank you what about twitching?

twitching is a result of a metabolic syndrome effecting the lower motor neuron, the nerve that goes from the spinal cord to the muscle. So anxiety is a very common reason to have twitching. Not to worry, I expect you do not twitch in your sleep, as you do in ALS. Try to reduce your stress ok? Dr Frank

I also might of asked you this too I get tingling tongue and lips often for like 3 years and also in my hands only at night I am guessing this may too be anxiety, my neuro says I have a high anxiety and chronic hyperventilation syndrome that can cause all this, ugh I just feel like omega g IA always wrong and that most these symptoms cannot be explained...sorry for the venting
Are you still there

HI. yes. tingling in the mouth or perioral areas, and in the finger tips is usually a result of a metabolic effect where you are anxious, and you subconsciously blow off your carbon dioxide by breathing faster than usual. This causes your blood pH to shift towards the alkaline, and excites the superficial sensory receptors on your skin, in your mouth, etc. So you sense tingling sensation. I am here to discuss this with you ok?

Well I had that for years so I am assuming it's fine

Yes, that is a common part of anxiety related symptoms and is probably the reason your doctor thinks what he thinks. Dr Frank

Thank you

You are more than welcome, i hope I was able to help Dr frank

Hello. I haven't heard back from you. You did not rate my service, was there something wrong? Dr Frank