Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been to the doctor and hospital, diagnosed with

Customer Question
I've been to the doctor...
I've been to the doctor and hospital, diagnosed with essential tremor when I was about 18. I'm 22 now. There is a kind of new feeling that has grown on me that I've been experiencing for about well over a year now. I can never get appointments in time with my doctor and its always so difficulttoexplain, easier for me to type. It's a feeling of tingling, numbness, and pins and needles all over your body. It lasts all day, every day. I have had several thyroid blood tests in the past as my mum has thyroid problems, but my blood tests always show that everything is normal! The worst feeling of all of this is my heart, I feel as if its some kind of attack I'm having. I get a painful chest, I don't know if its a panic attack or what! I do worry a lot, which I can't help, I worry about all sorts of silly stuff, mostly time! I am always looking at the clock! Silly right? Anyway, I'd just like to find someone who can give me an opinion on what I may be going through or what is happening with my body as its physically making me so mad now. I've been off work for well over a week now, this has happened before and I haven't explained to my work the truth as I can never put it into words properly, so I end up leaving them hanging and waiting for me! It's so frustrating. I need money, yet there's a big part of me that feels like I can't physically go back to work. I'm scared to be around people now in case I have this feeling.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/14/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello Welcome to JA. do you have a family history of ET? ET at your age is extremely rare. In terms of your sensory symptoms, that is not related to your diagnosis of ET, and is commonly seen in anxiety/panic attack. Do you have agoraphobia as well? I would suggest you discuss a psychological evaluation if you are stressed out and not able to function in the workplace. This can be really easy to fix. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help Dr Frank

No I don't have a history of it, they asked me this when I was in the hospital. I do feel a bit out of place when I'm around people but its not severe, I can go outside but I'd much rather be happy and stay at home. This is also another feelings I get, I can't go back to work, I'm afraid of something and I don't really know what.

Hello again. It is highly unlikely that you have essential tremor unless you have that family history. It is more likely you have a functional tremor, a problem that is connected to your anxiety or phobia of going outside, out of your house, or with people (agoraphobia). This can be corrected with management by a psychologist that deals with agoraphobics. You might do well to try a medication called an SSRI like prozac, paxil, zoloft, wellbutrin. I hope that helps. Good luck to you, get back to me if you have questions, or remember to rate this service if satisfied. Dr frank