How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is surgery the only Alternative to NPH

Customer Question

Is surgery the only Alternative to NPH
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. the only treatment known to halt progression of NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus) is a VP (ventriculoperitoneal) shunt. There are no medications that help. To ensure that the shunt may help, you usually are admitted and tested cognitively, and your gait is tested. You then get a lumbar puncture (spinal tap is the old terminology) and several cc's of cerebrospinal fluid are removed. You then get retested over the next 4 hours or so, to see if there is an improvement due to reduction in cerebrospinal fluid. If you do improve, that suggests a shunt, taking fluid out of your ventricular space and putting it into your peritoneal space around your intestines, would help your condition. I hope that answers your question. Please get back to me to discuss this further, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Get back to me to review your question. Dr Frank