Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having a problem with my back and my legs come…

Customer Question
I have been having...
I have been having a problem with my back and my legs come to find out by the MRI I have a unique s shaped spine. First it goes one way and then it turns the other. My neurosurgeon says I need to have a non-evasive surgery where they box the 3 and 4 vertabra and the 4 and 5 due to the fact 4 is misaligned from 3 and 5 to four is the same. Is this a normal way of doing it and how successful is it. I know it is necessary because eventually I will not be able to walk.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/12/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Hello. Do you have your MRI report available? Can you upload that report minus your name as this is a public forum. It suggests from you description that you either anterolithesis or retrolithesis of L3/4 and/or L4/5. For that problem, depending on the grade (I, II, III, or IV) you might need corrective surgery with a fusion/laminectomy and hardware installed (rods and pedicle screws). I can help you by explaining this surgery, or any questions you have. How can I help? It sounds like you have tried epidural steroid injection therapy unsuccessfully. If you have had an EMG test, and need to understand those results, you can also upload that report for an explanation. Please get back to me if I can help, ask questions and I will reply, ok? Dr Frank

I do not know what you mean by non-evasive. I assume you meant noninvasive, but the surgery to fix what I presume is your problem would be invasive surgery, so I am confused. Please get back to me with an explanation. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician