Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

The woman in question is 92. I apply to her legs and feet…

Customer Question
The woman in question is...
The woman in question is 92. I apply lotion to her legs and feet every night. Saturday night her feet and ankles were swollen. By Monday her calves were swelling and tonight her thighs are swollen.
I took her to a clinic yesterday and the attending doctor scheduled an ultrasound for later this week. With the swelling moving up her legs an emergency or should I wait for the ultrasound.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/4/2016
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

It is better she is shown in the emergency room asap because her swelling is increasing and from the lower leg now spread to the thighs. While she certainly needs an ultrasound to rule out any blood clots in the leg veins however it needs to arranged faster because her symptom is worsening. Also there may be other explanations for the leg swelling. There are myriad medical conditions that can cause rapidly progressive swelling and considering the swelling is worsening fast so it is better she gets investigated very soon. So in this regard it is better if she can be shown in the emergency room so that she can get all the relevant investigations faster. Another issue with waiting for the outpatient ultrasound is if the ultrasound test comes normal then she still needs other investigations to look for the cause of the swelling so by seeing doctors in the emergency room she can get an ultrasound as well as any other relevant tests and all these can be arranged very fast in the emergency room, so instead of waiting for the outpatient ultrasound it is better she is shown in the emergency room asap.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor