Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

An anuryism inth4 circle of willis should be what size

Customer Question
before anything is done...
an anuryism inth4 circle of willis should be what size before anything is done
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/2/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. There are a few variables to consider in addition to size. One is location on the circle of Willis, where exactly. Also the type of neck it has, if it can be approached using coils and catheters by an interventional neuroradiologist or needs a skull based neurosurgeon and an endoscopic craniotomy? Also if the is a family history of cerebral aneurysm, if there is a history of rupture in the family, if you are a smoker as that increases the risk for rupture, etc.

Also in terms of size rate of growth needs to be measured by doing serial MRI 6 month to a year apart. But to answer your question, 7mm diameter is where you consider intervention and it can take 10 years to reach that size from onset.

Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank