Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I had a stroke,apparently on top of brain, (left leg jerked

Customer Question
up) this was several...
I had a stroke,apparently on top of brain, (left leg jerked up) this was several yrs ago. My left side including, esp face gets soooo numb during day. level of numbness never the same, am fine when I first get up, can this be helped?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
2/1/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

The treatment for stroke is directed at preventing another stroke with adequate medication, diet change and physical therapy to overcome deficits. There is no way yet to restore brain tissue lost in a stroke, only teach other brain tissue to take over. We can discuss your risk factors for having another stroke or any facet of treatment. Do you know why you had this stroke? Risk factors include family history of stroke or heart disease, high blood pressure smoking high cholesterol. Stress. Medications are based to address the type of stroke, thrombosis or embolic, microvascular or hemorrhagic. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was very unhappy with the answer. to me. answer was an obvious factor, which I already know, I was more interested in a way to lessen the numbness, perhaps with a med to quiet the nerve involved. perhaps even Neurontin, or my leg involvement Lyrica? So I basically look at my own problem. I hope you only charged me $5 for your info. which was nothing!!! thanks

Neuropathic meds (gabapentin, pregabolin,duloxetine) do not lessen numbness from stroke. You can have central pain syndrome as associated with numbness and that you can treat but not numbness. If there was a way I would tell you. Good luck. Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician