Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Why would a neurologist order protein level of spinal fluid…

Customer Question
Why would a neurologist order...
Why would a neurologist order protein level of spinal fluid
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/31/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. To answer that question you have to know the sources for protein in the CSF ( cerebrospinal fluid). It comes from your blood, from the plasma in your blood. Proteins leak into the CSF at a certain fixed rate to give a value that is a ratio of that found in the serum. It is not easy for protein to get in, there is the BBB ( blood brain barrier) whose job it is to keep foreign agents out of the brain. So when your CSF protein increases, it suggests an inflammatory ( usually) process like meningitis to cause that to happen. CSF protein is an indirect measure that something is happening. Disc disease from arthritis, inflammatory neuropathy, a bunch of things can do this besides infection. Any vasculitis can disrupt the BBB I Hope that answers your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

There are important subsets of the protein intermingled with the total protein concentration in CSF. If you want to discuss that, get back to me. Dr Frank

Hi. I see you are checking on answers? Do you have questions? Dr Frank