Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a spinal cord stimulator surgery done on the 22nd of…

Customer Question
Hello, I had a spinal...
Hello, I had a spinal cord stimulator surgery done on the 22nd of this month during the procedure I had a adverse reaction to the drug called propofol were I had seizures like symptoms. My doctors believe this is what caused the paralysis in my right leg, in the meantime I was transfered to a hospital with a neurologist and had numerous tests done where they eventually decided to remove the device I was admitted and closely monitored until the 25th during that time my right leg regained feeling and movement but I still can not put my full body weight on it also parts are still numb with pins and needles feeling in the foot and I have a spinal headache which started on the 23rd. I've been on bed rest since my release date with no improvement on my right leg and my spinal headache I have seen my primary doctor who's been prescribing me pains medication and nausea medication he has suggested a blood patch but when he talked about it with the other doctors from the hospitals they were agaisnt it and no one has any information about my right leg. I would like to know if there's anything I can do about my right leg and my spinal headache? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/30/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Am I to expect another answer on the topic in the next 10mins? Or do I have to rate this before I can move ahead?

I would need to know more about your medical situation to be able to give helpful advice. Obviously the first question is why a 25 yr old woman is getting a SCS? What is the disease causing chronic pain? And why such a problem putting in the epidural electrodes in a young woman? The choice of blood patch is dependent on the anatomy of the problem, you may need a neurosurgeon to close your dura surgically? It is highly unusual to have the outcome of weakness and sensory loss resultant to this procedure in a 25 yr old and there must be complicating factors. What spinal levels wee attempted? Are you a trauma victim with a spinal cord injury? Any suggestion to image the spinal cord area following this event? You might need an MR cisternogram to look for that tear in your dura? Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Add information. Dr Frank

Please get back to me if you wish to discuss your case. Just reply to the email notification

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician