Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am and am wondering about the symptom of seeing animals…

Customer Question
Hello, I am 69 and am...
I am 69 and am wondering about the symptom of seeing animals which quickly dart behind a bush or tree, or disappear. It happened profoundly a couple of years ago, rarely now. I have been diagnosed with Mod. Cog. Impairment, two yrs. ago. I read that MCI may remain the same, or could progress to Alzheimer's. Thanks, Judi
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/28/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Judi, there is the entity of pseudodementia or forgetfulness related to depression but MCI is most likely your given diagnosis given your statements. About 50% of pts with MCI remain there based on clinic based scales like the MMSE or ADAS-cog the others will progress over a period of a year or two. Formed visual hallucinations can be the result of many disorders including certain forms of depression, and dementia so it is non-specific., it can be a medication effect as well. The determination of ALzheimers is based on deterioration of global cognitive scales over time. There are also imaging PET studies and cerebrospinal fluid studies that can be done. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Judi, I hope I was able to answer your question. Please read that preliminary statement and respond, I will then reply to your questions. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician