Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

The doctors say it is anxiety. But I feel like my nerves are

Customer Question
all sensitive. I feel...
The doctors say it is anxiety. But I feel like my nerves are all sensitive. I feel everything and it has a burning sensation. I am very fidgety and my muscles in my hands are spacing. This is not anxiety but yet they give me antidepressants that don't work. Now a psychiatrist gave me quetiapibe to sleep because I now have sleep apnea. I feel I have some sort of nerve problem. Need your help. I also have problems with my legs and arms restless. And I can feel pain the tingling in my fave and head. This truly can't be anxiety. They keep going with that since I had an an anxiety attack back n December. Now that drud to sleep is an antipsychotic. I am boot crazy. Can it be doing the shaking to my body. Myibside of my head feels on fire also. What is happening to me. If it is anxiety can they not get the hypertension or cortisone levels lower. But reall I don't feel depressed or anxiety. Just anxious because I am not getting better. Even wearing clothes is sensitive to my skin. What tests do I need done to eliminate other causes. Truly this is not panic but I am getting so drugged up even the doctors call me a major case. I don't want to be some psychologists testing prison.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
1/28/2016
Neurologist: KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 year ago
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)

Hello, thank you for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

Have you had any brain imaging such as a CT Scan or MRI? Also, how old are you? Do you take any other medications other than Quetiapine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 48
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not had ct scan or Mir. The doctor won't do it. They just think it is anxiety. What do you think it could be.

It is very difficult to know what exactly is going on without a complete history and physical examination, but the tingling and burning sensations you are experiencing would make it worthwhile for you to visit a neurologist to get a more specialized evaluation.

Most likely an MRI scan of the Brain would be very helpful to make sure there is not a brain condition which could include multiple sclerosis, inflammation, or other structural problems that could produce these symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I take conazepn to calm me because I can't sit still. They gave me. Cypralex and cymbalta for antidepressant but they don't work. I truly don't feel depressed. But you could say I was anxious because I must look it from all my restlessness and moving around. But this is getting worse not better.

Metabolic problems could also produce such symptoms, so having a Vitamin B12 and folic acid level checked would be a good idea to make sure you are not deficient. There are a few lab tests that might be run such as this.

Anxiety of course can sometimes produce neurological symptoms, so it is possible that the symptoms could be a result of anxiety. However, in general one must rule out more serious issues before assuming the symptoms are from anxiety.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Canadian doctors don't care. Is there a facility close to the Alberta border where I could pay to have complete body work of tests done in the USA in order to get the help I need. I am going crazy but not crazy crazy.

Quetiapine by the way in some cases can produce tremors or "shaking" as a side effect, so if the tremor started soon after starting the medication, then you will need to let your doctor know this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be a hormone deficiency

If you can tell me the nearest big city in the U.S. to you, I might be able to give you information.

Well, thyroid issues would be the main concern hormone-wise, but you said that was normal. I would say that other hormone problems causing the burning and tingling generally would be unlikely, but again a more complete examination would be needed to answer that question better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
truly what do you think it is if I were your patient. I live in Calgary but want someone who really wants to help me. and find out what is wrong.

I definitely would advise a neurological evaluation. Without further detailed history and exam and test results, it is not possible to know what is going on. My gut feeling would be possibly anxiety and perhaps medication side effect, but you need to have workup to rule out other conditions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are the complex evaluations and tests you think I need to get done. Do you think it is nurological

You should press your primary doctor to send you to a neurologist, I think.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wy the
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why the insomnia all of a sudden.

As mentioned, I would recommend a Brain MRI, B12 and Folic Acid levels, and a neurologist to perform an examination in the office.

Insomnia may be from anxiety and fear regarding all of your symptoms. Poor sleep can also sometimes make neurological symptoms worse, so this will need to be treated properly by your doctor.

I am sorry to hear about your problems, but hopefully you will be able to meet with a neurologist to at least get started with some of the tests I mentioned. Best wishes, please let me know if there are more questions.

Please remember to rate me highly and bonuses always appreciated :) Best of luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What USA city is close to Calgary Alberta that I could go to and pay for these exams

You need to tell me which city is close, and then I could try to help give you a neurologist center that could help you. I live in southern california so am nowhere near Calgary.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anyone in Montana.

Hang on, let me check.

I did an internet search and see a neurology group through Providence St. Patrick hospital in Montana: Contact phone # is(###) ###-####for the Montana Neurological Associates. I believe they are located in Missoula.

Hopefully this is helpful information to you. Best of luck! Again please remember to rate me highly.

Please keep in mind the time taken to answer your question today. In order for me to be acknowledged for the time and expertise taken to answer your question, please remember to provide a rating to accept my answer :) Thank you!

KarayanMD
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)