Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a spinal stenosis. 2 years ago I had an operation and…

Customer Question
I have a spinal stenosis...
I have a spinal stenosis. 2 years ago I had an operation and since then I am having trouble walking. I can walk slowly for about 100 yards and my legs give up. I have to stop a while and then start to walk again. Can you direct me ? Also I have trouble in my balance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/26/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

call me on my house phone(###) ###-####

I am here to help. As you probably know, spinal stenosis in its purest form is a degenerative condition, it is degenerative joint disease of the vertebral spine, or osteoarthritis. You can have milder and more aggressive forms, some of that is genetically determined, so if males in your family have severe spinal stenosis, the you are likely to follow that pattern. Surgery is a palliative procedure to slow down progression. The usual step is to remove osteophytes or bone prominences (spurs) from critical areas in the vertebral spine where they impinge nerve movement and restrict lateral turning or bending and rotation (facet or uncovertebral joints). I do not know the specific surgery you have had, but if you have your recent MRI report, you can upload it and I can describe the features giving rise to your symptoms. Your complaint of walking slowly 100 yards and then "giving up" is called spinal claudication. Your balance can be multifactorial, it can be from nerve involvement, or direct involvement by compression of the cervical spine (neck).

HI. I can call you but you have to accept the phone option, I will put it out for you. If interested, please tell me when to call if not now. Dr Frank

You have not given me what I don't all ready know. Thank you for your time... O

You are welcome, please get back to me anytime if you have questions, if you wish to discuss your spinal stenosis, and I will reply. Dr Frank

Where can we go from here...

What can I do to help your situation? I do not know what you know. I can answer auestions. Are you interested in spinal epidural steroid injections for pain/stiffness? Or medial nerve blocks for facet hypertrophy? Spinal claudication is not easily fixed. Depending on your EMG findings PT can make you worse rather than better, but for most it is an option. Questions about medications? Dr Frank

I have tried the epidural and that is what put me in this situation. Thanks for your time. It does not look like you can help me. Again thank you

Your symptom of being able to walk only a certain distance is classic for spinal stenosis, it is called spinal claudication. What have you tried for this problem other than epidurals? There is not much you can do surgically to improve spinal claudication, if that is your question. As you have already had an operation, I expect you know that. Mild exercise in the gym, using NSAID medications, and neuropathic medications for pain is about the most you can do in severe spinal stenosis. Please get back to me to discuss if you have questions Dr Frank

If you look at NIH clinical trials, there are 189 studies ongoing. here is the list. Dr Frank

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Spinal+Stenosis&Search=Search

Mike. did you look at that webpage I posted to you???? That lists 189 studies. Please get back to me after you review that information, I can discuss the separate studies if you want to participate.. Please remember to raet my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****