Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I wonder if you could kindly clarify a matter that is

Customer Question
Hello :) I wonder if you...
Hello :)
I wonder if you could kindly clarify a matter that is trigging me for a long time and I want once it for all , I want to be clear and have my conscious mind in peace.
20 years ago my old child had a really bad cough and my GP highly recommended to go somewhere where it would be nice and warm and that would clear his chest. My parents live in very nice hot climate, so I asked my parents if they could kindly look after my boy for the winter months as we had tried several antibiotics but he hasn't getting any better.
Any he went and his cough was done in 3 weeks :):) , my husband (at the time) and I were so pleased to hear the great news. My mother was coming back to island to work so she said that she was coming with my child.
1 month before they return my went shopping with my godfather in his car as my dad doesn't have a car, but my godfather's always forgot to check if there was enough petrol in the car....any way on the way to the supermarket car run out of petrol and he parked car with the hazard lights and the triangle sign on the floor and went to the petrol station while my mother waited on the front seat with my child ( as he was asleep). In those days there were no car seat. A drunk driver came a hit the car , then another one came and hit him, so my mother went out of the car with him as she open the door lots of glass fell to her face as she was unable to cover herself as she had him in her arms, he also had a few but nothing compare what mum had.
They went to Hospital and had lots of scans and there was no damage to his head as she was holding against her chest.
We lived in a very stressful situation..., we lived in a single room ( it was our bedroom, kitchen and etc) when he was 6 he had his first epilepsy seizure.
When he was in kinder, he was evaluated and hey said that he had problem in comprehend what they were asking , so we thought it was because he was speaking 2 languages.
He had his second seizure, and he was in Carbamazepin until puberty .
I am so grateful that he no longer needs to take them.
On my side of my ex-husband he has 1 brother and 2 sister they had difficulties in speaking and learning difficulties. On my side of my family there is no mental issues.
The last evaluation, the neurologist said it was because of the car accident, is this really possible???? The neurologist said that he doesn't use both side of the hemisphere, only uses one side and that is why he can be clumsy and very loud. He does not rationalize like a person of 23 years old instead he act like he is 14-15 years old.
Do you reckon it was the accident that has made him to be what he is??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/24/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Based on your story and nothing else, I would say it is highly unlikely that the car accident has anything to do with the seizures and his personality/emotional state/cognition at this time. Trauma to produce seizures does not lead to a normal developmental history, usually the patient is non-ambulatory, or in a markedly impaired cognitive state. The fact that there was no loss of consciousness of the child, that he did not suffer a known head injury, makes a disconnection syndrome as explained by your neurologist unlikely, but does make seizures more likely. Did your neurologist say rasmussen's syndrome, or give it any name? Please get back to me to discuss this further if you have more information, and I will reply. I hope I was able to answer your questions. If satisfied, please remember to rate this service, by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks dr frank