Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Paralysis I was born with a paralysis in my left side in…

Customer Question
Facial paralysis Hello, I was born with...
Facial paralysis
I was born with a facial paralysis in my left side in addition to irregular ears and hearing weakness.
Can you please advise me how to treat this paralysis if there is any treatment?
Thanks,
Tamer,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/24/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. To make a decision as to available treatment, we first have to have a diagnosis. I assume you have this as a congenital condition, you were born with it, correct? Did any doctor suggest a diagnosis like Mobius Syndrome Type II? Did you have a forceps delivery when you were born? How far did you go in school, do you have any other neurological problems besides the hearing loss (sensorineural hearing loss and/or conductive hearing loss, do you have your audiometry/ENT reports?) like club foot deformity, or double vision, any other nerve problems? Please let me know and I will send you a reply. Dr Frank

I was born with this
I do not know if any doctor did when I was child
I do not know if I have forceps delivery it guess no
I am 23 years old and I just graduated from university last Dec.
I use medical glasses and so My right eye is better than my left one.
Tamer,

Hi. do you know if you have a L esotropia on your vision testing, meaning the left eye deviates outward, that you have a weakness of the lateral rectus muscle that controls eye movements? Do you ever see double when looking towards your left? Did you ever wear glasses with a corrective prism in your left lens? The most common problem is called Mobius Type II, (I think) where you have multiple cranial nerves that are not normal. You obviously have the dense left facial nerve palsy (Cranial N. VII), but your auditory nerve CR VIII is effected as maybe cranial nerve VI (abducens nerve to lateral rectus muscle of left eye) . I think your only treatment is supportive, but you should have an MRI of the brain, with attention to the petrous part of the temporal bone, as all three nerves can be effected at this point. There might be an anatomic reason. Since you are intelligent, many of the Mobius types are excluded in your case. I will send you some information on this problem. Dr Frank

Here is some general information on Mobius syndrome. You would be a type II if you have this. Dr Frank http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1180822-overview#a3

Hi tamer. Come back to review the information posted. We can discuss options. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician