Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am feeling bee sting type pains in my legs above the

Customer Question
knees. It's on the...
I am feeling bee sting type pains in my legs above the knees. It's on the side of my thigh area. There are no bruising as if it was a busted blood vessel. Have you ever heard of anything like this and have any idea what could be causing these pains. They go away within a minute but keep reoccurring. It was in my left leg for 2-3 days, now it's in my right leg.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/23/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank.

The area you describe is the lateral thigh above the knee. What you describe, quick stinging "itchy?" type sensations are called paresthesis. You mention no rash or discoloration of the skin. This may be a condition called meralgia paresthetica, caused by involvement of a purely sensory nerve ( there is no back pain, no weakness in the thigh muscles or hip flexor muscles, no problems going up stars correct?) I will attach an image f the distribution. Take a look at it and tell me if it fits. We can then discuss possible reasons. Ok? Dr Frank.

It is in the inner thigh not the outer thigh.
I viewed the site you listed and it's not what I am feeling. What is happening is in the inner thigh, and it goes away, then comes back. It's been going on for at least 3 hours. I have not done any activity to cause this. It feels just like a vein bursting but there's no evidence of bruising as if that were the problem. It's definitely a bee sting type pain. There's no itching, no rash, no raised blood vessel, there is a tiny bump inside my leg around the area that the pain is occurring. Any other suggestions?

Hi. With the inner thigh you consider groin issues like pulled adductor muscles ( groin pulls) nut with that you have pain with movement that you do not describe. The sensory system in your inner thigh is highly innervated so any irritation can send your brain a significant response. But I don't know why you would have bilateral symptoms from a local process like a sebaceous hair follicle causing a bump on one side of your leg? Alternatively, it could be the other way around where this is an allergic response with histamine release giving you at least one dermal papule ( the bump). Contact dermatitis from laundry soap or shaving your legs? Or some food allergy. There are also proximal small fiber neuropathy that is seen most commonly in diabetes that can give you burning sensation on your thigh bilaterally. That diagnosis is made by skin biopsy. Have you tried hydrocortisone creme on the area? Dr Frank