Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had cellulitis 3 times in the lower legs and it had all…

Customer Question
I've had cellulitis 3 times...
I've had cellulitis 3 times in the lower legs and it had all the symptoms. Now my lower legs have been swollen for a couple of weeks. they hurt at time s and I feel sick like I have the flu but I don't show any redness. Sometimes they feel warm but it goes away. I never had a fever the 3 times the doctors treated me. Could it be ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/22/2016
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

If there is swelling but there is no redness then the possibility of cellulitis is very less. Cellulitis is a type of bacterial infection and is associated with reddening of the skin due to underlying inflammation. But in your case there is no reddening of the skin so cellulitis possibility is very less likely. However we need to find out the cause for this new onset swelling in the legs. There are various conditions that may be associated with leg swelling like anemia, vitamin deficiencies, protein deficiency, kidney diseases, liver or heart diseases, endocrine disorders like thyroid conditions etc, so seeing your doctors is recommended to find out the exact cause for this new swelling, however as far as the cellulitis is concerned this possibility is very less likely because as pointed earlier above you do not have all the typical features of cellulitis, for example there is no reddening of the skin in the legs, and in the absence of this important finding the possibility of cellulitis is very less likely.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor