Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am feeling a vibration in my left foot. Last night, it…

Customer Question
I am feeling a vibration...
I am feeling a vibration in my left foot. Last night, it woke me up with pain.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/19/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello welcome to JA. Do you have reasons for a neuropathy, or problems with your lower back? Please tell me what medications you take, how did this start, do you have numbness in that foot or both feet? do you see any twitching in the foot? any change in the way you walk? any pain? Let me know and I will reply. Dr Frank

I have problems with my lower back. No numbness, some twitching. I am presently taking cymbata, duloxetine, and seroque. No changes in the way I walk. Last night was the first time that I had pain in that area. This started about one week ago
I don't feel it walking, only when I am sitting, resting or sleeping

I see. So this is what I can tell you. What you describe is seen in lower back injuries where a nerve that passes by the vertebral disc is compressed, and there is stripping of the insulation of the nerve. It causes something called a myokymic discharge, kind of a short in the nerve. Anyway, symptoms of more pain or sensation in the lower back is classically associated with disc disease, rather than arthritis of the vertebral bones. That is because the discs are more pliable, and compress more easily when damaged, when you are seated than standing. The duloxetine/cymbalta may be blocking some of your pain at the spinal cord level, which is a good thing. In terms of where you are feeling this sensation on the foot, if it is the lateral side of your foot up to your pinky toe, then it is the L5 root coming out of the back along side the L4/5 disc. It it is more your heel and the bottom of your foot, then it is the S1 root coming out along L5/S1 disc. I hope that helps. My suggestion would be an MRI scan of your lumbosacral spine, and maybe an EMG/NCV test of the nerves coming from your lower back to determine which nerve and to what degree. You may do fine with just stretching exercises/physical therapy, it all depends on your studies and your current neurological exam, which I cannot do from here. Please get back to me if you have questions I can answer, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician