Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have Fibromuscula Dysplasia of bilateral carotid arteries…

Customer Question
I have Fibromuscula Dysplasia of...
I have Fibromuscula Dysplasia of bilateral carotid arteries for over a decade. I have bilateral objective pulsatile tinnitus since diagnosis. It has never been a problem, more of an annoyance. The past 3 days the sound of the tinnitus has changed only in my right ear. It has become louder and high pitched, it sounds like my bruit has a bruit if that makes sense at all? Is this something to be concerned about, or can I wait it out for a few more days to see if it dissipates?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
1/18/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr frank

HI. I guess my first question would be if your renal arteries are effected as well as your carotids? Do you have problems with blood pressure regulation? There is no direct relationship between the frequency of the pulsatile tinnitus you hear and the degree of stenosis or closure of the carotid artery in response to fibromuscular dysplasia, but I would ask if you needed a balloon angioplasty or stent placement because of this problem? I would ask you to check your blood pressure, ask when you had your last ultrasound study and the degree of stenosis on the effected side, and your current blood pressure before commenting on whether to seek attention more quickly. Please get back to me to discuss these issues, and I will respond. If your blood pressure is going up, then the frequency could change. thanks *****