Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

In 2008 I had carpal tunnel surgery,athroplasty.I was

Customer Question

In 2008 I had carpal tunnel surgery,athroplasty.I was released back to full duties.I haven't done any strenuous work until recently.The swelling and pain has returned.My question is have I injured myself again or does my hands have to get readjusted to this type of work?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. The most likely possibility is that you hands have to adjust to the increase in workload. Regional swelling by itself infers that your blood flow to the extremity has changed, as a result of the workload (?) And your drainage through lymphatics and the draining veins are not keeping up. More concerning though is the pain, and especially if you have numbness along the median nerve distribution to the thumb and index finger. You could do a test, the Phalen's sign, which is to put the backs of your hands together, fingers pointing towards the floor, you then push together for 45 seconds or so, and see if there is an increase in pain in the wrist area, and if you feel paresthesis, or tingling into the palm, thumb and index finger??? Let me know. There is the Nerve conduction studies that can be repeated now if you have concerns that you have re-injured the area. They could be compared to your post operative EMG test, if you had one done. The orthodromic palmar sensory median evoked response and conduction velocity has to be compared, right to left hand, and from the older study in 2008. Please get back to me with more questions if I can help, and I will reply. Maybe you should wear your cock-up wrist splint at night for a few weeks, to see if that improves things? let me know or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work Dr Frank