Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

Dr Amir. MRI results: 1. Small left paracentral protrusion

Customer Question

Dr Amir. MRI results: 1. Small left paracentral protrusion at L5-S1 impinging the left S1 nerve root. 2. Severe facetal osteoarthritis at L4-5 where there is resultant Grade 1 spondylolisthesis that combined with a background of disc bulging results in moderate central canal stenosis. 3. Borderline central canal stenosis at L2-3 and L3-4 secondary to mild degenerative disc bulging and mild facetal osteoarthritis 4. Incidental lesions within the hilium of both kydneys presumably representing parapelvic cysts. Neurosurgeon wants to remove L4 disc and place two bars and fuse L3 to L5. My question is does the clinic do fusion surgery or disc replacement.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Any other medical issues?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like the neurosurgeon wants to do a diskectomy to cut out part of the disk at L4 which could be pressing on nerves exiting the spinal cord there and causing pain.

the whole disk is not cut out and so the disk is not replaced.

it sounds like your surgeon wants to do a bone fusion with bars to fuse L3-L5 as well to maintain stability of the spine at that level.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com