Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Bob,
, My wife had the nerve in her R elbow re-routed

Customer Question

Customer: Bob,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife had the nerve in her R elbow re-routed and it was suppose to relieve the pain, numbness, and burning in her right hand fingers baby,ring and middle. it has not helped and the incision hurts her to were if she touches it she cries from the pain. can anything be done about this or do we see a new Dr.? Thank you
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Coming to the discussion;

Based on the description provided by you it sounds like your wife is a case of failed ulnar nerve transposition surgery. Usually rerouting the nerve is a highly successful surgery, but unfortunately in her case it is not helping and she is torutured with lots of severe symptoms including pain, burning, numbness etc.

There are various reasons why surgery rarely fails in ulnar nerve rerouting surgery, and such reasons generally include one or more of the following – fibrosis or scar development which compresses the nerve, retention of a soft tissue structure by name “medial intermuscular septum” during the first surgery, development of adhesions of the nerve to the surrounding structures, or recurrent slipping of the nerve from its new rerouted position etc.

As you see there are myriad explanations why she is having such severe symptoms after this surgery. If the surgeon who did this first time is not able to fix this then you may please try to see another surgeon. A Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic surgeon are the usual surgeons who does this procedure. They can revise the surgery and make sure this time nerve is put in a safe area in the forearm and does not undergo irritation by any fibrosis or scar tissue etc, also see that the nerve does not slip from its new intended position.

In the meantime she may try one or more of the following treatments to get relief from her severe symptoms;

One of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline or Pregabalin

Lidoderm anesthetic pain relieving skin patches

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Ultrasound therapy

Diathermy therapy

Iontophoresis

Truegevity 024 Pain Relief Towelettes

Opioid/narcotic pain pills like Percocet or Oxycontin etc

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor