Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Mom can't explain the feeling but her tongue just has an

Customer Question

Mom can't explain the feeling but her tongue just has an awful feeling. Especially while she eats and then stops eating because she feels like the little nubs on top of tongue are really hurting. She has had TIA's and a couple of strokes and has been on lots of meds for a long time. She is 85 and very weak and shakes and has no energy.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. that type of problem is usually the result of dehydration, where her mouth becomes dry. The mucosa is dry, if she sticks out her tongue, it is very red and you can see the papilla or nobs on the top, which are irritated. As she has had multiple strokes, is very weak and shakes, is she eating/drinking enough????? That would be my first question. Alternatively, she could have a vitamin deficiency from the same problem, not enough nutrients, especially B vitamins. So she would benefit from some nutritional supplements if she is not getting any, get back to me on that. And finally, anyone that sounds like your mom, complaining of mouth pain, who could be immunocompromized because of her strokes, you have to consider oral thrush, which is a fungal infection of the back of her throat. That is classically seen when you are on antibiotics for a urinary track infection ????? Look at the back of her throat with a pen light and some kind of tongue depressor. Is there a whitish, cottage cheese like coating on the back of her throat? If there is, she has oral thrush, and need ketoconazole or miconazole lozenges that her GP can prescribe. They might be available OTC at your pharmacy. they have lollipops which work great. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, take a picture of the back of her throat and I will look at it if you upload it. If satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars , as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****