Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am looking to serif I could get my brain scanned due to my

Customer Question
Hi, I am looking to...
Hi, I am looking to serif I could get my brain scanned due to my brain not functioning to its highest capability and I want to figure out how my brain works because I do not understand my actions and my difficulty in organization
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
1/8/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Dr Frank

I am available to answer medical questions. If you have seen a neurologist or psychiatrist and have questions I can answer them. Please get back to me if I can help. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well would a brain scan even be necessary? I am trying to see if maybe lower performance in brain function could be tied to something medically or maybe it is just better habits but, I am not sure what to do medically because my brain feels 5 steps slower than my actions because I am always second guessing myself after actions. And again, you could be right that a psychiatrist may be more useful. But, I was wondering if you have any tips as to how to improve brain function

If you mean an MRI by "brain scan", then no, you do not need an anatomic scan of your brain as your problem, if there is one, relates to synaptic activity and connections, which can only be measured by "activated" scans, for example there is fMRI (functional MRI) that images changes in deoxyhemoglobin, to get an idea on oxygen utilization in the brain as related to brain activity. Not a direct measure of synaptic connections or plasticity, but just brain metabolism. You can do specific cognitive acts in the MRI and obtain this type of scan, comparing it to others having done the same task as a normal control population. Or you can get neuropsychometric analysis from a neuropsychologist to measure your specific abilities in cognition from different areas, albeit verbal reasoning or constructional abilities, etc.

But to answer your question about how to improve cognition, you get into the area of "cognitive enhancers" medications like piracetam or modafinil, that have alerting capabilities and might improve memory. These medications are used by the military at times, piracetam was used by the russians in chess tournaments, etc. But the bot***** *****ne is that in the healthy brain, there are no medications to specifically improve cognition, or memory, only improve performance by reducing "distractions" or focusing the sensorium. Brain Teasers have shown better results than medications. So performance improves with practice. In the setting of disease states, like malabsorptive syndromes or alcoholism that deprives the brain of nutrients, there are supplements to improve brain function. But unless you are sick, or have a psychiatric problem like ADHD, medications have little role in improving overall cognition. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work. thanks *****

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician