How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just another question. I believe I have a nerve entrapment

Customer Question

Just another question. I believe I have a nerve entrapment of some kind. Especially in my lower back. When my pain shots where off in the lower back, I get numbing feeling in both legs, my hips hurt, my feet hurt when I wake up in the morning to the point of walking on my feet. All of my lower body aches. Once I get the pain injection/upperderol, and have had my nerves burned more than once. I see my pain doctor and a Neuro surgeon. Do you think I should see a neurologist also. Between my neck and lower back problem.
Once I get pain injections, it will help for a short time. Also, can it help my neck, getting pain shots.
I feel I just bounce around to both doctors and never really get better. I was diagnosis with Lupus about two years ago, but not on any medicine for it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


If diagnosed with lupus then you should consult a rheumatologist for ONE and also I think a neurologist as well ...

Lupus if active is an autoimmune disease which may affect and cause damage to multiple organ systems and tissues ( it could cause neuropathy) It could cause damage or inflammation to the kidneys and other organs as well...

The activity of the lupus should be monitored and it sounds that this is not being done.

If active then you should be under treatment to control the disease...

The neurologist may be able to help determine if lupus is playing much of a role in your neurological symptoms vs other possible causes ( So a peripheral neuropathy could fit with some of the symptoms that you describe and this may respond to different treatment for example) You may be in need of treatment to moderate the activity that might be causing inflammation of nerve tissues due to this autoimmune process...

The neurologist may be able to due more testing such as nerve conduction studies to differentiate what might be due to lupus/neuropathy vs perhaps degenerative spine problems...

The lupus should be periodically monitored with checking ANA/ ANCA titers and inflammatory markers of the blood > C-reactive protein and sed rate // also common to check urine for abnormal presence of blood or protein..

Sometimes a person may merely have a positive ANA test and be TOLD they have lupus but this may at times be over-stating the situation.. there are a series of criteria to make this diagnosis >> hence all the more reason I think that you should consult the rheumatologist for follow up to answer these questions...

I hope that this information is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony bray MD