Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Is Neurocet worth a try for pain relief--or is it a scam, I

Customer Question

Customer: Is Neurocet worth a try for pain relief--or is it a scam
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have arthritis and migraine headaches and am looking for alternative pain relievers. The advertisement for Neurocet sounds too good to be true so it probably is. What is your opinion?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes,
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. From what I can see on their webpage, Neurocet contains D-PHA (phenylalanine). PHA is an amino acid, it is found in all foods that contain protein, Protein is broken down into constituent amino acids, and PHA is found ubiquitously. There is a condition called PKU, where you are missing an enzyme that metabolizes PHA, and you can get sick, it is relatively rare, and you are tested for it at birth. PHA also does not get past the blood brain barrier, it is relatively large as an amino acid, and has a charge configuration that prevents it crossing, unless it is bound to a compound that allows for active transport. So I can tell you that it is unlikely PHA is doing anything to improve nerve function in this situation. I would also note that the manufacturers have avoided FDA scrutiny as licensing this as a "nutritional food" rather than a medication. If you read the fine print on the disclaimer, you will find out that it is not designed or does not suggest to treat any illness.... So take that as a caution. I certainly can discuss treatment options for migraine and/or arthritis that are prescription FDA approved meds. That means that the compound has gone through peer review in medical journals, has been tested by the medical community AND then went to the FDA for approval Please get back to me to discuss if I can help, or rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work Dr Frank