Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have occasional dizzy or vertigo spells. I was in the

Customer Question

I have occasional dizzy or vertigo spells. I was in the hospital for 3 days and they ruled out cardiac heart or vascular problems. My blood work is normal even for Lyme disease and vitamin deficiencies. The only minor elevated blood reading was a glucose level of 109. I just returned from ENT Specialist who does not think it is a vestibular issue, but is doing a balance test and hearing test study later this week. My last resort would appear to be a neurologist. I have no headaches, work out regularly and the only medical issue is high blood pressure. An MRA of brain and neck with and without contrast was normal for my 78 years of age. I had a cardio version year ago and responded with dizzy spells to the anitarrythmic drug (Murtaq) that I was prescribed. My cardiologist this October tried me on Fleconaide and I took my self off that drug several days later for the same reason. Any advice or opinion regarding my problem would be appreciated.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am frustrated and concerned.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and reply if you have questions. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. You have a tough problem. How high does your blood pressure get and how variable does it become? Do you have any posterior circulation TIA type symptoms besides the dizziness/vertigo. Does the room really spin or you feel you are spinning in the room? Is there any positional sense to getting this sensation started? Are you orthostatic, meaning dizzy when going from a seated to standing or laying down to standing position? Do you have tinnitus? When the ENT tested you in his office and did the Nylan-Barany maneuver on the table, did you become symptomatic, did you have nystagmus on the eye exam? Your vestibular tests will help, my suspicion is that the ENT doctor is not correct, that this will end up being peripheral vestibular rather than central, but lets discuss this. Do you have numbness on the side of your face, any slurring of speech ever. Are you ataxic? (can you walk a straight line, heel to toe, arms at your sides, looking forward/). Let me know how I can help . Also have you ever taken meclizine (antivert) when you are symptomatic with dizziness? Dr Frank