How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a weird sort of numbing feeling on my mid left thigh

Customer Question

I have a weird sort of numbing feeling on my mid left thigh radiating down the knee like to the top of my foot. It is not a deep feeling. It feels like on the surface. It doesn't burn but feels like a stinger. I have no pain to walk. It just feels like a bit like a numbness or tingling. My thigh is not swollen or pulsating. It get's worse after sitting for a long time. It just started 24 hours ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


It sounds that you have a nerve compression at some point causing this symptoms. It seems to be the L4 nerve distribution. As it occurs more with sitting it may be compression affecting the sciatic nerve's the lower lumber nerve roots of the back. ( If you had some problem such as a flattened disk that increased compression of the L4 nerve root on this side then tension on the nerve is increased in the string position)

Any recent back strain? This could be related. The short time span so far would be encouraging that you have better chance of quick recovery going forward

I would try taking an anti-inflammatory medicine such as 2 ALEVE twice a day with food ...

Avoid heavy lifting or bending or prolonged stiing for now

I advise make appointment with orthopedic specialist to check you for this symptom ...( neurologist is appropriate option as well to check you for this symptom )

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD