How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Subbanna MD Your Own Question
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5361
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Subbanna MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Injured wrist a few months ago. especially tender across the

Customer Question

injured wrist a few months ago. especially tender across the retinaculum, palm side. no broken bones. what kind of doctor fixes retinaculum tears? initially felt like 4 parallel paper cuts across the entire width of the wrist. now sharp paper cut pains are much duller, but extreme tenderness remains in a 1" band across the entire width of wrist.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns.

1) What treatments have you already tried & what are your current treatments (medications or non-medication treatments)?

2) Have you already seen any doctor & have you already had any investigations done?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, have you received my question posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches preventing you from reaching this site or this question properly. Are you still looking for an answer to your health concerns? If you wish to discuss this further please let me know and I will be very glad to help you further.

In the meantime what I thought is I would give you an initial answer with whatever information I currently have with me, when your time permits please go through this answer and follow up with me if have any further questions or if you need any further clarifications.

This is my initial answer to your question;

Based on the description provided by you it sounds you have sustained injury to the flexor retinaculum of the hand. If this was not confirmed with any investigations then investigations like Ultrasound or an MRI scan of the wrist can help in this regard.

Now coming to the treatment options; the retinaculum injuries or tears are treated initially conservatively (without surgery). The conservative treatments include rest, therapy to the hand, hot or cold compressors, pain medications, pain gels over the skin, and additional treatments like Ultrasound therapy, or Low level laser therapy, or Iontophoresis etc.

If the injury does not respond to these above mentioned treatments then certain special injection treatments like Prolotherapy injection or PRP (Platelet rich plasma) injections can be tried and these can help not only with pain control but with the regeneration of the injured retinaculum and recovery from the injury.

Surgery is tried usually only if the above mentioned conservative treatments fail.

And to answer your specific question on who can do the surgery for this kind of injury, you can see a hand surgeon, or orthopedic surgeon, or plastic surgeon – all these surgeons can perform surgery on the torn retinaculum.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor