Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Name is ***** *****. I have c3-c4 mild central canal

Customer Question
Customer: name is ***** *****...
Customer: name is ***** *****. I have c3-c4 mild central canal stenosis from focal disc protrusion.there is mild right neural foraminal stenosis from spurring. c4-c5 normal. c5-c6 moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis from uncinate and facet spurring.c6-c7 moderate left neural foraminal from uncinate and facet spurring is revealed.c7-t1 mild central spinal stenosis from small broad central disc protrusion. moderate bilateral neural forminal stenosis from uncinate and facet spurring is revealed. t1-t2 small disc bulge mildly effaces the thecal sack. moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis from uncinate and facet spurring is revealed. so what does this mean.and should surgery be considered. severe pain.terrible balance and walking problems.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: causes headaches,sick to my stomach,and terrible muscle and extrenity spasms.body tends to jerk and jump all over at times. stuck in a chair because moving makes me sick and gives head spin feeling.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
12/24/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello Welcome to JA. To answer your question about surgery. There is nothing severe noted on your MRI exam of the cervical spine to indicate some emergent need to have surgery. You do, however, have bone changes to suggest cervical spinal stenosis that is moderate in classification at several levels. This is osteoarthritic change with enlargement of the facet or uncovertebral joints and bone spurring off the cervical discs. There is neuroforaminal stenosis, which means the canal where the nerves exit to supply motor and sensory to the arms are compromised by bone growth into the canals. This would cause you to have pain into your shoulders and arms, and weakness possibly into your arms. In addition your hands may get numbness or tingling sensations. The vertigo you describe is more related to inner ear pathology, from a disruption of your vestibular system. It also can be seen in patients with cervical stenosis but is thought to be a separate mechanism. The more important determinant in deciding whether you need surgery to your neck is your neurological examination, looking for evidence of spasticity in your lower extremities, if you have Babinski signs, and your deep tendon reflexes in your legs. Have you seen a neurologist? What did he say? You might want to consider physical therapy to strengthen your neck first prior to a surgical procedure . Alternatively, if you have pain and weakness into your arms, you might benefit from an EMG examination to look at the function of those nerves effected by the foraminal stenosis. Please get back to me if I can help from here, ask questions and I will respond. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician