Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Right arm swollen after 2ml Cyponate intramuscular shot

Customer Question

right arm swollen after 2ml Cyponate intramuscular shot
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. I will leave you an answer shortly, please reply to discuss. When did you get the shot? Have you iced it? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the shot 2 days ago..
First day fine, second day, getting swollen.
Third shot - extremely swollen.
Not cellulitis because not hard.
Just swollen, very swollen and sensitive.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Is this the second time you received this shot? Are you allergic to anything. A common reaction to this given IM is swelling due to a reaction to the sesame oil used to keep the testosterone in suspension. You need to ice it and if it continues to grow and turn red, you need a Medrol (methylprednisolone) dose pack, 4 mg for 7 days. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service as that is how I am compensated for this work, just click on the rating stars. Thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Have you taken any benedryl (diphenhydramine)? you can try that as well, if it is really red, this will reduce the histamine response. That is good that it is not hard, the other possibility is cellulitis from an infection (rare, but does happen). So get the dose pack if you can. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I get a dose pack ?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You need a prescription. I cannot give you one. Do you know a doc, a nurse, a pharmacist? even pharmacists can in some states write a script for a Medrol dose pack. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You can buy it online without a prescription, but you would have to wait. Dr Frank http://withoutasthma.com/discount-price/medrol-online.html

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Also I would advise not to get the IM again. You might do better with the topical ointment to the inside of your arm. I hope I was able to answer your questions, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****