Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I've never had back trouble before, I'm only 19. I was

Customer Question

I've never had back trouble before, I'm only 19. I was sitting today at work like normal and I got a bad, sharp pain in my lower back all of the sudden and as soon as it happened, I felt a little lightheaded but then I felt fine after a few minutes but ever since then, my back is KILLING me. I can't bend down without it hurting so badly. It's like I pulled something but it started hurting when I was sitting straight up. I wasn't doing anything at all.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Your symptoms suggest back spasm and may not mean there is anything seriously wrong with your back. The smaller back muscles can go into spasm involuntarily and cause severe pain. The pain can make you nauseous and light headed. You should be icing the area now, and for up to 48 hours from the time of injury. Once the muscle is really iced, you can do gentle stretching like trying to touch your toes (no bouncing or lunging) which will help increase the range of motion. Take some Aleve (naproxen) over the counter for pain and inflammation and that should help. Please get back to me with questions if I can help Dr Frank