Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

My son recently died ultimately from swelling of the brain

Customer Question

Customer: My son recently died ultimately from swelling of the brain caused by a stroke. Hi path to death began with aspiration pneumonia from wisdom teeh extraction. Because the oral surgeon had him on high doses of ibuprofen his true temp was muted to 101.3 which the oral surgeon dismissed as normal healing. The following week after two trips to the ER they refused to do a sepsis prtocol I think because they did not have one. Regrettably I waited too long to transfer him ti Ochsner's Clinic. I am guessing he was septic 7days after the extraction. he died 37 days later of a stroke. He was 25. Do you think it takes that long for sepsis to manifest as a stroke?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Mike
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

The sepsis seemed to have caused coagulation problem called DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation). Then DIC might have caused bleeding in the brain.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

sepsis can also cause hypotention and drops of blood pressure and decreased blood perfusion of organs with decreased blood flow to the brain and heart and liver and kidneys

and this can cause stroke

sepsis and being in bed can increase risks for him to have a blood clot as well and a blood clot can travel to the brain and cause decrease blood flow to the brain and stroke and death.

was an autopsy done after his passing.

I am sorry about the loss of your son.