Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I recently had a bad cold and was put on a Medro dose pack.

Customer Question

I recently had a bad cold and was put on a Medro dose pack. I have edema in my legs from lynphedema and while on the dose pack for 4 days of predinsone my legs returned to normal Please explain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will send you a preliminary answer shortly. Please read and reply if you have questions. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Prednisone usually is ineffective in preventing chronic lymph edema. Lymphedema is the result of loss of autonomic nervous system control on venous dilation and movement of lymphatic fluid in lymphatic channels. Your edema must be the result of third spacing of fluid into the interstitial space from leaky valve in your deep veins. That leak problem can be improved temporarily by steroids that stabilize membranes. Do you have any evidence that this is lymphedema? Did you have venography?