Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My father has Lewy body disease and recently entered the

Customer Question
Hi, my father has Lewy...
Hi, my father has Lewy body disease and recently entered the hospital for a neurological check up. He has been able to eat, walk, talk, go to the toilet etc on his own under my mothers supervision, even though he of late has been experiencing sleepless nights, hallucinations, confusion etc.
At the hospital they decided to keep him in for observation to document his current situation. The doctor decided to remove the memantine & rivastigmine. Within 24 hours he was a mess. He can no longer walk. He cannot eat or drink by himself, he is soiling his pants and no has to use nappies. He is not aware of his surrounding, he has become completely incoherent and unable in every sense over night. He reminds us of someone who has suffered a stoke with severe brain damage. However upon receiving the results from the MRI he was cleared.
After three days in hospital we have seen a doctor once. No one is available to give us any answers. We feel at complete loss :(
Would be most grateful for some help and guidance.
Nina
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
12/17/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read that preliminary answer and respond, we can discuss this issue until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Hello Nina. I would say to you that from here, the first impression is a Patient with diffuse lewy body disease is going to have problems with the environmental change imposed when moving him to the hospital. So if there is any way to make him feel more at home or to get into the simple daily pattern that he is used to, that will help him more than any medication. I am not sure why the doctors would admit him for observation, is it possible he has a UTI (urinary track infection) or some other health issue that is compromising his current mental status? In terms of medication, you might ask the doctors about combined memantine and donepezil. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Ask questions and I will respond, add reports from the MRI or EEG or whatever you have if you need further explanation. Dr Frank

Hi Dr Frank,
As my mother felt my father has been advancing in his illness the doctors decided to bring him in for observation. My parents live quite remotely and have to travel for two hours to get to the nearest city/ hospital.
Our issue is not that he now is more confused, our issue is that over night he became a vegetable unable to eat, drink, walk, talk, go to the toilet, not even lift his head of the pillow or open his eyes. My reason for writing here is the hospitals in sweden are completely understaffed, there is no one and I mean no one to talk too. In three days we have seen the doctor once.

I would suggest you ask the hospital administrator or front desk staff nurse to request a social service consultation. With the social service person, you explain that your father is having a hard time here in the hospital, and that he needs to get back to his known environment, to please screen him for any concerns like infection or reasons to keep him in the hospital, that his eeg if needed can be done in an ambulatory setting. Try to get him out of the hospital, tell the staff that you are worried he might get a nosocomial (iatrogenic) infection from being in a hospital environment. Social services should be able to help you get the wheel rolling and get him out of the hospital. Please get back to me with questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Just get back to me if there is something I can do to help from here. Dr Frank

https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/lewy-body-dementia/treatment-and-management

a good publication on Lewy Body Dementia for families that have to manage in a difficult situation. Please get back to me with questions if I can help. Dr frank

I hope I was able to send you some useful information, please get back to me anytime. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars and that is how I am compensated for my work. thanks *****

hope things are going well, there are some new treatments for FTD so please get back to me if you wish to discuss them. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician