Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

What does a tingling or jabbing needles o the bottom of my

Customer Question

What does a tingling or jabbing needles o the bottom of my foot means?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will leave you a preliminary answer, please read this and get back to me with additional questions or information so I can respond. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Tingling or "jabbing" needles sensation on the soles of your foot is called paresthesis. It can be from several conditions. One way to determine cause is to look at the exact distribution of the sensation. Does it follow a peripheral nerve distribution, or does it follow an area corresponding to a dermatome (spinal level which would be seen in problems of the nerve as it comes out of the spine, or in the spinal cord itself, or even higher, in areas of sensation in the brain. All of these are possible, so you have to look closely at the area involved.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

In peripheral nerve problems, like diabetic neuropathy, that can give you paresthesis, the distribution is "stocking-glove that is to say an area covered by a sock and then later by the glove when it effects your hands. Nerve pathways follow nerves., so a sural, or saphenous distribution can be mapped out. Lumbar dermatomal areas like S1 will cover the sole of your foot, so a bad back with a bad disc at the L5/S1 level will pinch the S1 nerve root and you will get this sensation.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So tell me your story, do you have back pain? a disc problem, a peripheral neuropathy as from diabetes? how long has this been a problem? Dr Frank