dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields including Neurology.
16766337

I started experiencing severe lower back pain in September.

Customer Question

I started experiencing severe lower back pain in September. I saw a dr, and she said it was a muscle strain and referred me to a physical therapist. I've had PT for a month now. My symptoms have not improved much. Last night was completely terrible though. My symptoms are tightness across the lower back. There is also a lot of tingling. Numbness goes up the left side of my back on occasion. If someone presses on a couple points on my lower spine it is excruciating. I cannot sit for longer than 5 minutes or so without being in horrible pain. Standing is ok for about 10 or so, then my back hurts. When I lay down there is a tingling across my lower back and tightness and pain. Last night, on top of all of these symptoms, I became very nauseated when I sat. When I stood there was weakness in my right leg. There is a tightness and some pain across my upper hips and into my tail bone. Sitting is nearly impossible, because it hurts so badly. I haven't been able to sleep, because it hurts badly even when I am laying down now. My family thinks I need to go to the ER because of the new symptoms and the new level of pain intensity. I don't really know what to do.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ....

You are young and this age back issue of such degree need proper evaluation ,

pain along with tingling and numbness is highly likely because of spine issue , it would be ideal for you to have MRI Thoracco-lumbar spine to see what is going wrong so that appropriate treatment may be offered to you .

Regards .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go to the ER?
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

This is not emegency , go to regular dr please .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .