Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I bent down yesterday and my friends 3 year old little boy

Customer Question
Hi. I bent down yesterday...
Hi. I bent down yesterday and my friends 3 year old little boy was coming up at the same time and slammed his chin really hard into my temple area. There is a lot of pain there and this morning I woke up with some redness in the corner of my eye. Should i be going to the dr? I'm worried I have experienced a brain bleed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
11/9/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond. Please read my preliminary answer and then reply. We can discuss this issue until your are satisfied. Dr Frank

First some questions from your statement. You mentioned redness in the corner of my eye. Do you mean a scleral hemorrhage (the white part of your eye has some red blood/hemorrhage in it) or do you mean in the periorbital area, around the eye itself, the eyelids and the muscle called orbicularis oculi a circular muscle that surrounds the eye, going under both eyelids so the redness is in the "outer canthus" of the eye socket, but outside the eyeball? How is your temple area? Is it sore to touch? If you push harder, do you feel any c​repitus or creaking? Get back to me about this and I can give you an answer. You should be icing the area now if it is swollen, you probably know that. dr Frank

My temple area is very sore to touch and there seems to be a bump there. The redness is in the corner of my eye. If I push harder I do not feel and creaking.

The redness sounds like a scleral hemmorhage. To confirm you can take a pic and upload. This is not related to intracranial trauma. Just direct contact with the tiny venules on the eye itself and will resolve. The lump no doubt is a blood bruise within the superficial temporalis muscle. If you clench your jaw with your hand on the lump you will feel it move outward and up slightly. That needs ice as much as tolerable over the first 48 hours. If you did not have a change in level or loss of conciousness with the concussion it is highly unlikely that you are bleeding within the skull. The type of bleed in the brain that comes from this type of trauma will result in loss of conciousness in 30 min ( epidural middle meningeal artery) or after up to 12 hours for a subdural but the chances are extremely small give the kinetics of injury. Please get back to me if I can help. Please remember to rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars. Thanks. Dr Frank

If I clench my jaw or chew an apple it hurts where I got hit. And it has been 24 hours since I've gotten hit in the head. So, a brain bleed wouldn't be likely and it wouldn't cause the redness in my eye? I didn't lose conciousness after getting hit.

Absolutely. Very unlikely to have a brain bleed of any sort at this time. I am assuming you have no specific neurological problems other than head pain from the bruise or contusion you feel outside your skull. No visual disturbance problems thinking light bothering your eyes. You might have some nausea which is expected. No problems walking no numbness. You can walk a straight line heel to toe without falling to a side. Anything abnormal let me know but highly unlikely you have a serious problem. Dr Frank

No visual problems. Light doesn't bother me. I can walk a straight line. I have head pain but I'm assuming that's from the hit itself. No neurlogical issues otherwise. Thank you.

You will be fine. Get back to me anytime if things change unexpectedly. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician