How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I felt down on the stairs and got two hits on the spine

Customer Question

I felt down on the stairs and got two hits on the spine about 6 days ago. Did X Ray which shows " nonspecific straightening " lumbar. The pain was not reduced at all , same as the first day of fall- sharp when I move my back in certain position. I have never had a back pain before this fall. My general doc directed patches, but it does not help. What is the cause of paint? And what straightening entail!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. The straightening of the spine, known as lordotic posturing, comes from shortening of the dorsal or outer paralumbar muscles, some of which are very large. These muscles have gone into spasm, they have clamped down and tiny nerve fibers, the dorsal roots, which innervate these muscles are sending pain signals to your spinal cord and up to your brain. To get rid of the straightening you need to treat the muscles, semispinalis, erector spinae, a variety of smaller muscles that cross between the vertebra. So if this has been 6 days, you need have started conservative measures like icing your back and then heating it. Alternating ice and heat will get them to relax. Massage will help, also using medications like cyclobenzaprine, tizanidine, or stronger like baclofen, or carisoprodol. Your doctor can prescribe them with a NSAID like Celebrex or meloxicam. Please get back to me with questions and I will reply. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Dr Frank