Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

About a year ago my lower back/sternum right above my

Customer Question

About a year ago my lower back/sternum right above my buttocks started burning. I cannot sit for long periods of time. It extended to my feet gradually. My feet are sore and burn so bad that I have to remove my shoes at work and rest them at intervals. Also accompanied by minor indigestion/gas. Other than that I am very active and work out daily. My GP suggests stress and overtraining.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Did your doctor start any medicine fr relief of these symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The symptoms are chronic. They have not worsened over the past year or so. Some days they are actually very minor and some days they are worse. Doctor believes it was just stress,age,and gym overtraining. Chiropractic helps. Chiro believes it's some sports injury and to take it easy.

These opinions are not mutually exclusive. Repetitive exercises or other exertion can result in a chronic injury and cause chronic pain. The classic example is tennis elbow, where someone that plays a large amount of tennis causes chronic strain in the tendons around the elbow resulting in inflammation and chronic pain. Most people that develop tennis elbow are healthy, but develop the problem because of overuse of the elbow. A similar problem can arise virtually anywhere in the musculoskeletal system. When the back is involved, it also can secondarily affect the nerves that serve the lower extremities.

It is reasonable to first try conservative care, with a decrease in exercises that place strain on the back and lower extremities, stretching and range of motion exercises, local care with ice and moist heat, and chiropractic manipulations. But if the symptoms persist, it also would be reasonable to use a medicine to ease the symptoms. If no medicine has yet been tried, it would be reasonable to first try an anti-inflammatory medicine, and two are available over the counter - ibuprofen and naproxen.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.