Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I LOST MY JOB AS A PSYCHOLOGIST DUE TO A"SEIZURE' AT WORK, 3

Customer Question

HI, I LOST MY JOB AS A PSYCHOLOGIST DUE TO A"SEIZURE' AT WORK, 3 YEARS AGO. IT BEGAN WITH FALLS, FOR NO APPARENT REASON; ALSO MY RIGHT LEG WILL JERK ACROSS MY BODY AT WAIST HEIGHT (I AM 63 YEARS OLD SO CANNOT DO THIS BY MYSELF) THIS JERKING BECAME MORE FREQUENT SO I AM ON CLONAZEPAM. MY FALLS HAVE CAUSED A FRACTURED WRIST AND ECH FOOT HAS THREE FRACTURES, NOW. SOMETIMES I FALL HEAD-FIRST, E.G. INTO MY VEGETABLE GARDEN, BRAKING ALL THE TOMATO STAKES AND A METAL SPIKE WENT UP INTO MY ARMPIT TEARING THE TENDON. SOMETIMES I BLACKOUT, OFTEN FEEL DIZZY OR LIGHT-HEADED, HAVE TINGLING ALL OVER MY BACK AT TIMES. I HAVE NO SENSATION IN THE FINGERS OF MY RIGHT HAND- NUMBNESS AND TINGLING AND GET THIS SENSATION IN OTHER LIMBS, E.G. DOWN THE SIDE OF A LEG. I BREAK THINGS EVERYDAY, BECAUSE I DROP THEM FROM MY RIGHT HAND. I ALSO BREAK THINGS IN MY RIGHT HAND, OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH PRESSURE I AM EXERTING, e.g. I CANNOT USE A MATCH TO LIGHT MY CANDLES BECAUSE THE MATCHES BREAK ABOUT A CM FROM THE TOP NEARLY EVERY TIME I TRY TO STRIKE THEM.
I HAVE SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN AND USE A TENS UNIT PLUS PAIN MEDS.
THE MOST FRIGHTENING PART FOR ME IS THE "SEIZURES"
I HAVE HAD 77 SEIZURES, NON-EPILEPTIC. I DO NOT LOSE BLADDER CONTROL, AND A SEIZURE WAS VIDEOED DURING AN EEG AND SHOWN TO BE NOT DUE TO EPILEPSY.
A SEIZURE BEGINS WITH TWITCHING IN MY FACE, PARTICULARLY AROUND THE JAWLINE AND MOUTH. THEN NOISES BEGIN, WHICH I CANNOT CONTROL, AND THEY GET VERY LOUD, SOUNDING LIKE "VUH,VUH. VUH' . MY BODY BECOMES COMPLETELY RIGID AND SEEMS TO BE LOCKED. I AM A SOUL TRAPPED IN A BODY, ABLE TO HEAR AND THINK, BUT UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE OR MOVE MY BODY, AND UNABLE TO SEE. IF MY EYES ARE OPEN, MY VISION IS SEVERELY IMPAIRED, BLURRY AND FOCUSSED ON A SMALL AREA AND UNABLE TO DISTINGUISH THINGS IN MY ENVIRONMENT. PEOPLE WHO HAVE TRIED TO MOVE A BODY PART HAVE COMMENTED THAT I HAVE THE STRENGTH OF A MAN, AND YET NORMALLY I HAVE LITTLE STRENGTH, SLEEP FOR UP TO 16 HOURS PER DAY, HAVE SEVERE CONSTIPATION TO THE POINT WHERE I HAVE TO USE GLOVES TO MANUALLY DISEMPACT MYSELF.
THESE SEIZURES EVEN OCCUR WHILST ASLEEP. I LIVE ALONE, WITH MY PETS, AND ONE NIGHT I AWOKE DURING A SEIZURE, UNABLE TO BREATHE AND MY DOG JUMPED ON MY HEART AND GOT ME BRETHING AGAIN. MY DOGS KNOW WHEN A SEIZURE IS GOING TO OCCUR AND START BARKING LOUDLY AND RUNNIMG IN CIRCLES. IF SOMEONE IS AROUND, THEY BARK AND LOOK AT THE PERSON AND THEN AT ME, AS IF TO ALERT THEM. THESE SEIZURESALWAYS LAST ABOUT 30 MINS AND I AM VERY VERY TIRED AFTERWARD AND THE FOLLOWING DAY. DURING A SEIZURE SWEAT POURS OFF ME IN ALL DIRECTIONS AND ONCE IN HOSPITAL, I THOUGHT I HAD WET THE BED BUT THE PARAMEDIC TOLD ME THAT THE SEIZURE CAUSED ME TO EXPEND SO MUCH ENERGY THAT I WAS SOAKED AND SO WAS ALL THE BEDDING, AND ANYONE WHO WS NEARBY GOT WET TOO.
I HARDLY HAVE ANY QUALITY OF LIFE NOW, DUE TO THE FATIGUE, THE SEIZURES WHICH STOP ME FROM GOING OUT ANYMORE. MY BRAIN DOES NOT FUNCTION AS IT USED TO: ***** ***** WORDS, SOMETIMES THERE ARE NO WORDS AT ALL, LIKE A BLANK SCREEN, I DON'T UNDERSTAND COMPLEX INSTRUCTIONS, AND MY SHORT-TERM MEMORY IS HOPELESS. IT IS VERY DISTRESSING TO LIVE LIKE THIS. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I HAVE HAD SEVERAL CLOSED HEAD INJURIES FROM FALLING BACKWARDS ONTO CONCRETE PAVEMENTS (SIDE-WALKS). MY RIGHT FOOT VERY OFTEN CROSSES OVER IN FRONT OF MY LEFT LEG AND TRIPS ME UP, SO I NOW STAY CLOSE TO BUSHES AND TREES, SO I CAN HOLD ONTO THEM. IT IS QUITE SCARY FOR ME, BECAUSE I BECOME MORE EMOTIONAL NOW, THAN EVER BEFORE. I HAVE SEEN 5 OR 6 NEUROLOGISTS IN AUSTRALIA, AND THEY KEEP REFERRING ME TO ANOTHER NEUROLOGIST BECAUSE TEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG.
CAN YOU POSSIBLY HELP ME.MY DOCTOR HAS NO IDEA WHERE TO SEND ME NEXT.
YOURS SINCERELY,
LINDA XXXX
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want live telephone call as I live in Australia and I think this web site is in the Unite States. It stated that I would receive a reply by email within 30 mins, but that was two hours ago. I will wait for the answer to my first question, but am worried now that thia is going to cost me more than I can afford. So after the first answer I do not wish to continue, unless I am perfectly satisfied with the response. the service so far has not met the criteria stated in this website, i.e. response within 30 mins. Then after I paid for it, it stated 8 mins response time, then 30 mins, and now the rules are changing : it states up to 24 hours!!!! The salvation army has come in to help me and I am already $1000 in debt each month. So, you can see my dilemma. Each month I get further and further into debt, which makes my condition worse. I already feel worse because I am getting no response and I was desperate to find an answer. I can't afford to see a physician (I can't remember the name of the type of physician, but one who pieces things together). Although I was a psychologist for 28 years, my practice as not lucrative by Western standards as my spiritual ethic was to do most of my work pro bono: hence my frightening financial position. I am entirely genuine and do need help to get an answer but had no idea I would have to keep paying. I just want a one-off answer to my question, please, and then unsubscribe me, please. Thank you, Linda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do Not need legal advice, that is fine; I know I am unable to work, even just because of the cognitive impairment. llI want is some help re a diagnosis. thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS