dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields including Neurology.
16766337

Haven't been able to get hold of the regular neurologist.

Customer Question

Haven't been able to get hold of the regular neurologist. Have an 81-yr old male, just discharged from a 5-week hospitalized stay due to a seizure-induced viral encephalitus (maybe it's the other way around). Patient is lethargic, excessive tremors, and depressed. Suspect it's due to overly heavy dosage of seizure medicine: 2x1000mg Levetiracetam, 2x200mg lacosamide daily. Before this seizure episode, patient was on 1x1000 mg Levetiracetam daily. A missed dose triggered a seizure attack, administration of 2x0.5mg Lorazepam stopped the seizure, but a doubling of the 1000mg Levetiracetam within the following 12 hrs caused a paralysis and patient was sent to hospital. Just can't get a response for a quick appointment from the neurologist. Resorting to plea for help online now, desperately..
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Please let me know have you had EEG ( Electron encephalogram ) ?

Have you had your CSF Examination ?

Regards .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had all those. Didn't find anything negative
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for info ...

As you have negative tests , and still seizures episodes indicates brain edema and neuronal swelling being reason of fits , it would be ideal for patient to keep him on Diazepam infusion for 48 hours under close observation of Neurologist to suppress over activity of neurons .

Oral pills will be effective once active neuronal activity is suppressed .

Brian MRI will be ideal to localize edema and to look for secondary issues .

So please proceed as I advised you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .