Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I fell on a bedpost directly on my neck. It's very painful

Customer Question

I fell on a bedpost directly on my neck. It's very painful and my voice is practically gone. Will this heal on its own?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. when did this happen. If you lost your voice suddenly in this context you need to go to the emergency room for a ENT (they will call the ENT for this) or if this came on slowly, as a matter of days following injury, then you need to contact the ENT office for an appointment. You can have swelling directly or indirectly as from nerve or vascular injury to the laryngeal vocal cords. The pain is concerning. This may not heal entirely on its own. The ENT will do a direct visualization of your vocal cords, and may inject with steroids from inside to remove the inflammatory response and promote healing. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or rate my service if satisfied as that is how I am compensated for my work. Just click on the rating stars. thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking this could be a neuroma, but if it doesn't visualize on the MRI (are the people that read the scan sure?) then it must be a lipoma or some lesion that is relatively homogenous and similar in water distribution or matrix as the surrounding tissue. I cannot conceive how it could cause the mandibular distribution pain. You could conceptualize it being involved in the pain that radiates from your neck to your clavicle, but it should be on one side only. I do not think this is disc fragment or hypertrophic facet joints, etc, and that would be seen on the MRI and mentioned. If you would like me to review your MRI scan, for an additional price, you can upload the scan onto a website, www.image32.com, then return here with your email address you used to upload onto the site, your passwork for the site, and your phone number. I will put out the JA offer box, you would insert that data into the box, and I could call you after review. Than is about all I can add from here, please ask questions or rate if satisfied. Dr Frank