Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Ok. Was playing soccer, running, stopping, starting quickly,

Customer Question

Ok. Was playing soccer, running, stopping, starting quickly, moving from side to side like a shuffle. Started to feel pain minutes after play. Went to doctor, they said it was most likely a sprain, but that she wanted me to check with ortho to make sure there weren't any ligament or cartilage problems. I didn't because of money. Symptoms: a few weeks after now.....after sitting for awhile, pain behind knee when standing and walking, not able to straighten because ligamnts in back side of knee feel tight and pain. Also, randomly when walking a twisting/tearing feeling on inside of knee(sidetoward the other knee) and sharp pain that lasts only a second, but is intense. General feeling of weakness in this knee, or swelling as compared to the other knee. No constant pain or agony.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I say "pain behind the knee after sitting awhile, I mean the tendons or hamstrings that connect to back of knee(whatever those structures are).
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

This could be a muscle sprain or a tendon inflammation, but what is needed is to rule out meniscal /ligament tears) especially the anterior and the posterior cruciate ligaments of the knee which are prone to injury during sports. An MRI of the knee is the best modality to further evaluate and diagnose this condition but prior to that an examination by an Orthopedic surgeon is required.

However, if you can not see the orthopedic surgeon at the moment or get an MRI done, you should start on conservative treatment at home, this can be done by applying Ibuprofen gel on the and around the knee four times a day with gentle massage, wear a knee brace or wrap an ACE bandage around the knee after application of the gel. Keep the leg elevated when lying down over a pillow, avoid vigorous activities but do not stop walking. I would also suggest that you start on an anti inflammatory pain killer like Motrin 400 mg thrice a day for 4 to 5 days to see if it helps with the pain and settles the inflammation.

Muscle sprains, injuries usually take 3 to 4 weeks to settle given the proper rest and medication. Anything taking longer will need an evaluation. This is most likely not a serious injury since, those are accompanied by bruising and swelling of the knee joint and marked restriction in movement.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Best.