DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Is subuzone a pain medicine for Rheumatoid ,degenerative,

Customer Question

is subuzone a pain medicine for Rheumatoid ,degenerative, and osteoarthritus?? I also have fibromyalgia. old back injury. I fell approx three years ago. Now I have flexion contractures on both elbows. My shoulders , wrists and my knees were also injured. I could add some more, but I think this is enough (maybe) to get my question answered.
Sincerely,
Linda
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

Suboxone is a pain medication used for patients who have developed opioid dependence on pain medications

it sounds like you are are dependent on lortabs and methadone.

did your doctor start to prescribe to you Suboxone to help your pain and help your use of lortab and methadone?

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

In fact, the opioid portion of suboxone [buphenorphine] has been shown to have effective pain relief, with little to no respiratory depression and no upper limit on analgesia in the elderly.

So it can be used for pain management.

Some doctors use suboxone the same way.

None of your medications address active RA, which should be treated with some form of anti inflammtory or disease modifying medication.

They are also not particularly indicated in fibromylagia.

So,

I suggest that you , if you have not,

a. see a rheumatologist.

b. work with a pain management specialist if that is not what your doctor is.

In addition, I suggest that you eiscuss sobutex with your doctor, which is actually for pain.

Suboxone itself is not really a pain medication.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

So it can be used for pain management.

Some doctors use suboxone the same way.

So,

I suggest that you , if you have not,

a. see a rheumatologist.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Please click a positive on my answer page if you appreciate my answer. I will always give you safe, comprehensive, correct and concise answers. Find me anytime: for Dr. Thomas.

OK, so that is an initial answer….