DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks I also

Customer Question

I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks I also have a cold and had a light headed feeling in my head which led to panic and really tense shoulders too
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also had a virus a few weeks ago with a blocked ear and had cold rushing at the back of my head I don't suffer with constant headaches
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can all the tension in my back and neck be contributing to my head ache at the back of my head ? It just suddenly came over me but did ease off with paracetamol. Also wondered if the panic attack contributed or is it more serious ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Both cold and panic attacks can present with mild to moderate headache. The fact that it was acute and got relieved with paracetamol means this was a benign tension type headache which may occur occasionally and not to be concerned about. This type of headache may be triggered by stress, neck strain, missed meals, depression, anxiety or lack of sleep.

Take care.

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I have a different answer.

Any new headache MUST be examined.

The history can indicate residual infection, even a smouldering infection in a mastoid process for example.

While unlikely, such things must be ruled out by exam.

In addition, when one has tension headaches in this area, and even though that is the most likely cause, there can be problems with the muscles , bones and discs in the neck. This can be minor at first and perfectly amenable to the correct physical therapy. It should not, however, simply be treated with pain medicine and allowed to progress. This is a common mistake that is made in medicine, and years later one can have progressive disc problems. So that assessment should be done now.

We can not diagnose you on line, and headaches have a wide variety of presentation among individuals.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor.

See your doctor today, or go to a&e for an exam.

That is the safest policy at this point.

Please click a positive rating if you appreciate my expertise, and I will get paid if you click it on my answer page here.

Let me know if you have further questions.