Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have an issue with my ear. All soudnd has been muffled

Customer Question

i have an issue with my ear. All soudnd has been muffled for the last few days. only thing i know how to do is like when you on a plane and release the pressure. Only thing that does is makes some popping sound and doesnt help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

most probably there is ear wax in your ear which doesn't let the sound come through any more. This issue is getting worse when you try to clean your ears inside with cotton swabs... I hope you didn't do that, because this compresses the ear wax and makes impossible for the microscopic little hairs in your ear to transport it outside.

To get rid of it, use a nonprescription wax softener followed by gentle flushing with an ear syringe each night for a week or two. Make sure the flushing solution is body temperature. Cool or hot fluids in the ear can cause dizziness.