How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 87 or 88 year old mother has spinal stenosis. She has

Customer Question

My 87 or 88 year old mother has spinal stenosis. She has been in pain for years due to it, but has recently started having constant, horrible pain that can only be relieved by someone rubbing or messaging the upper leg and lower back area. We have tried
several doctors in the northwest Arkansas area, mayo clinic, and acupuncturists. All worked in years past to varying degrees, but nothing is helping anymore. She has has had injections at the base of the spine. She is immune to hydrocodone and oxycontin. I
was wondering about a procedure that in some way dissolves the nerve endings in the affected area I think it might be avalation. Could this be an option? If not, please advise. She is otherwise very healthy, and was active and would be again if not for this
pain. I know there is something out there that could help. A few months ago, she said the left the acupuncturists office "feeling 16 again," but that was before this recent bout of pain began.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Some commonly used pain management procedures for pain control as a result of spinal stenosis includes steroid epidural treatments, rhizotomy, either by RF probe, thermal probe or laser, and spinal cord stimulators to block ascending pain fibers in the spinal cord. I don't know what the clinics she attended did or had suggested, please get back to me to discuss. I can explain these procedures in depth, or send you webpage information on them if you are interested. There is also neuropathic medication like gabapentin, pregabalin, duloxetine. Has she tried that? Let me know. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will find out and get back.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

sounds good, let me know and maybe I can suggest a direction. Dr Frank