How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old is shaking his head. first it was the eye

Customer Question

my 12 year old is shaking his head. first it was the eye twitching and now the head shake. i don't know what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. So if he is shaking on both sides of his body (?) or only his face what is his level of consciousness? can he talk is he with it? Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

just to keep in contact, if this is a focal seizure starting in the face, he may generalize meaning all arms and legs jerking. You should lay him down, on his right side and try to protect him from hitting anything. Do not put anything in his mouth, if he seizes he will not "swallow his tongue" Try to time the event. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is not a seizure ! It's like a twitch.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

oh good. So he could have essential blepharospasm, but is sounds like facial tics. This problem can be seen in a triad of obsessive behavior and vocal tics (coughing, hacking sounds, if severe coprolalia which is saying foul words) with the diagnosis of Tourettes syndrome. It is found exclusively in males, but 12 is a little old for this to start. Please get back to me with questions if I can help. He needs a pediatric neurologist to examine him and maybe start medical management depending on school performance or other parameters. Please get back to me to discuss if I can help or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.