Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I'm just wondering if in this day and age, if a woman in her

Customer Question

I'm just wondering if in this day and age, if a woman in her mid 50's who was in an acute neurology ward for 6 weeks, would huntingtons disease be easily picked up? We have just discovered my husbands Aunty has just been diagnosed with huntingtons disease and my husbands mother was a chronic alcoholic since her 20's and died aged 58 of alcohol abuse. She had some leg weakness and She was in a neurology ward and diagnosed and treated for Giullian barre which seemed to improve. Her mobility was poor but she had no chorea. Could this have been overlooked. She had metastatic Breast ca so had mri and ct of her brain. Her autopsy States she does form liver cirrhosis. I'm so so so worried about this and trying to peice everything together as I'm living in fear she had it and now my husband and children could be affected. If u could please answers some of my questions or give me some information I would be so grateful. Thankyou
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. Let me read your statement and I will be back to discuss

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

First some information on HD from our NIH. This is just general guidelines. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/huntington/huntington.htm

Now to to answer your question. Huntingtons is best expressed in males and women's symptoms are generally milder although they function as the carrier for the disease. A major clinical measure besides the chores which can be plus or minus is a relative degree of hypotonia while retaining evidence of long track signs with hyperrefexia in the lower extremities and a variety of frontal lobe disinhibition signs like palmomental response grasp and rooting that are evident on general neurological exam. So you should research her patient files if available to get your answer on her susceptibility for the disease. I am here so please look at the webpage for general answers then come back if needed to question me. Please remember to rate my service once you are satisfied by clicking on the stars. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

cc