How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a very sensitive to the touch mastoid bone on the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a very sensitive to the touch mastoid bone on the left side behind my ear. Pain radiates to my head with severe headache type symptoms and my left eye is watering repeatedly from the pain. At times it is excruciating.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like mastoiditis an inflammatory problem in the mastoid sinus behind your ear. It comes with allergies leading to ear infections mostly viral and eye drainage. It can be other things. The beginning of bells palsy or otitis media an ear canal bacterial infection. Do you have a fever chills etc. any history of alleged and sinus disease? Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I do not have a cold or cough and just now after five days starting to feel some mild ear pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel a swelling in the left side if my head, also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is this typically treated? medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This is most likely viral otitis. It is treated symptomatically with otc decongestant if you are afebrile. A doc needs to look in your ear canal and give antibiotics. Or for more severe do a myringotomy and place a stent or tube in your ear drum to drain. If you have a lot of pressure its time for a drop in cliniic or er. Write back if i can help. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Get back to me if f you get info you dont understand and i can try to help. Please remember to rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Thanks Dr Frank